Welcome to Cheyenne Mountain Zoo’s official blog! From amazing animal stories to a "behind the scenes" look at daily zoo life, this is the place to get to know
Cheyenne Mountain Zoo on a more personal level.
Check back often to get In Between the Spots!

August 26, 2009

Snow Leopard GPS Collar Up-Link Maps

Megan, Cheyenne Mountain Zoo’s Animal Behavior Manager, has returned from Mongolia! As a regular contributor to In Between the Spots, Megan plans to share Snow Leopard conservation work updates here! Thank you to Megan and all volunteers who work so hard every day to promote conservation action at home and abroad!

Hello All,

I may have returned from Mongolia but Snow Leopards and my experience are still never far from my thoughts! In order to help keep myself and all the other Snow Leopards lovers out there in the loop with the research developments in Mongolia the staff at Snow Leopard Trust has been kind enough to let me share with you the bi-weekly GPS collar up-link maps.

These maps show the locations of the 5 cats that are currently collared in the South Gobi research area and are providing critical information to researchers on how and where the Snow Leopard move. The round dots are from previous up-links while the squares connected with the lines are the most recent movements from each cat.

You can see where the research camp that I visited on my trip is located in the center of the map. It’s so exciting to know that I was that close to these amazing cats, even if they never let us see them! If you would like to learn more visit the Snow Leopard Trust’s blog for up to date information on all the exciting research. I hope you enjoy watching these Snow Leopards’ progress as much as I do!!


No comments: