Welcome to Cheyenne Mountain Zoo’s official blog! From amazing animal stories to a "behind the scenes" look at daily zoo life, this is the place to get to know
Cheyenne Mountain Zoo on a more personal level.
Check back often to get In Between the Spots!

August 25, 2009

Another Update from Kenya!

Cheyenne Mountain Zoo Loft educator Erica Garroutte is currently in Kimana, Kenya to work at the School for Field Studies station to study wildlife of the Rift Valley and involve local communities in local conservation projects.

Here is her latest update all the way from Kenya:

I am enjoying Kenya quite a bit so far. The food is fantastic and my “banda” is actually really nice. It is a wooden hut with a bed, couch and table. I really enjoy the mornings here because the sunrise is fantastic and all of the colorful birds are out.

The camp is full of vervet monkeys who are extremely mischievous. They plan raids on the food in camp. I saw one with a sandwich today. Also, today I saw an African Giant Millipede. I picked it up (which you should not do, by the way) and I told all the Kenyans that my job was to hold these for children. They think I am quite strange. Oh and they were really confused when I told them that his name was "Norman". After this conversation they walked me around and told me all the things I am not allowed to pick up and to definitely not give to children. One said “their mamas will be mad if you make them take a bug". Haha.

I have realized since being here that I think that the Zoo is really on the frontline of the conservation battle. The US has the potential to do some effective things worldwide for human populations and conservation. For the change to happen, the American people need to buy into the idea and realize that it will be important not only for people in Kenya but for the world community. Never forget, even when thousands of people come through the zoo, that those interactions are potential seeds for great change.

No comments: