Day 8 – November 20, 2009
-By Bob Chastain
Today started slowly. I was having difficulty assimilating to any new “home” because I missed my last one. My feet also hurt this morning. The foot funk that started yesterday is now so bad that I can hardly walk. My toes and nail beds are red and swollen and in between my toes looks raw and weeping. On top of that, most of what I have is wet and muddy. My shoes are no exception. I will spend the day doing two things: 1.) transcribing notes to send in for the blog, and 2.) visiting the pod where our frogs will live.
The pod is about 10 feet wide and 10 feed long. In the long run it can hold between 200-500 frogs, depending on size. Right now we will start with about 90. The rest will go with Edgardo to El Villa. Each frog now gets an accession number with which we will track and record data the rest of its life. It gets cleaned and then put into an aquarium that will be cleaned every day during its quarantine period that will last 30 to 90 days. During this quarantine time, it will get treated for chytrid and receive medical check-ups.
Today I met Eric Baitchman, the DVM from Zoo New England who is the project’s acting vet. He has worked in Panama with Edgardo for three years now. He will train Della, our vet, and the vet at the Summit Zoo in Panama where the frogs now live.
We finished the work after 9:00 p.m. tonight and are rushing to the hotel to catch a 10:30 p.m. dinner before heading to a 1:00 a.m. bed time, again.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment