Welcome to Cheyenne Mountain Zoo’s official blog! From amazing animal stories to a "behind the scenes" look at daily zoo life, this is the place to get to know
Cheyenne Mountain Zoo on a more personal level.
Check back often to get In Between the Spots!

December 29, 2008

Remembering Kubla



It is our sad duty to report that Kubla, Cheyenne Mountain Zoo's 15-year-old male snow leopard, was humanely euthanized on Monday, December 22. According to veterinary and animal care reports, Kubla had been presenting symptoms of suspected renal failure and the effects of that medical condition. His condition rapidly deterorated over the past weeks and it was determined that his quality of life was being severly compromised.

A Tribute to Kubla
By Megan Sanders


Kubla was one of those animals that had something magic about him. He had a knack of finding the perfect spot to lie at the front of his exhibit and would draw crowds with the simple act of sleeping! He was thought to be everything from a white tiger to an albino cheetah or leopard, but it was a rare occasion when a guest would walk by and not stop to admire what an amazing animal he was.

Kubla is an animal that has defined me in this career path. He taught me so much about so much. He and Dakota were my first “big training milestones” here. He was a great student who let me make so many mistakes so that I could become a better trainer. He never failed to greet you with a chuff from his den in the morning and a “tail held high trot” over and a rub on the bars when we came to give him his afternoon meds. He was a mild mannered gentleman and a great ambassador to his species.

I have so much love and respect for all the keepers and vet staff that have work with him over his time here. I was so overwhelmed to see so many staff from all departments come to say goodbye. He had a good long run and as Dr. Michelle once shared with me “When you love something so much, this peace is sometimes the last great gift you can give”. I know we did right by him and I take solace in the thought of Kubla, healthy and robust as he was in his prime, rolling in green fields.

I’ll miss you Kubla. Thank you for all you gave me. Be at peace.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The snow leopards are one of my favorite animals at the zoo. I have been looking forward to seeing them in their new enclosure but it wasn't open on my latest trip for the Winter Wildlanad. I was upset to hear of his passing especially after all this time in an older cage and with the new one just opening. I really hope Kubla was able to enjoy some time and open space in his new home. I'll miss seeing him.

Anonymous said...

When I heard of Kubla's passing I was devestated. My time at CMZ was only indirectly spent around Kubla and Kali, but I came to love them both. He had a personallity that is rare to find in a big cat and it always made me smile to walk by and see that beautiful boy! I know that his keepers will miss him terribly and my heart goes out to them. It also goes out to Kali...the two of them had a very special bond. I truly hope that everyone at CMZ can take solace in the fact that Kubla was well loved and well cared for in his time there and I believe that he knew exactly how much he was loved.

~ Jess