
Photo Credit: Rebecca Zwicker
One of Cheyenne Mountain Zoo's beloved primates recently passed away. Our beloved 34 year old Mangabey, Clara, will be missed. Because of several concurrent illnesses, additional treatment would have compromised her quality of life and euthanasia was the best choice. Included below are some heartfelt tributes from the keepers who knew her best:
A Tribute by Jeannette Schwab
Clara was one of the most engaging primates I have ever met. She was sweet, loving and kind. Everyone that met Clara knew that she was special. Her eyes were so expressive and she let you know just how she felt. She was a wild caught primate and spent her early years as someone’s pet. When she came to CMZ she was paired with Laz. They had a tumultuous relationship but it worked for them. In recent years she was paired with Tana and they spent her last few years together as a peaceful couple.
I met her 10 years ago and immediately fell in love with her. She loved to be groomed and always had a greeting for me when I came close to her enclosure. During our grooming session we built a large bank account of friendship and trust. There is so much I will miss about her. Clara was my favorite primate in the building and I have loved every minute that I have had the privilege to spend with her. I will miss her dearly.
She reminded me daily why I became a zookeeper. My son said to me, as he tried to cheer me up, that Clara is in a better place and she is now free to move about and fly around. I have solace in the fact that we did the right thing for Clara and she is now at peace in the “Great beyond” where flying monkeys really do exist. Rest my sweet Clara, I will miss you!
A Tribute by Rebecca Zwicker
Clara truly was a "keeper's animal". Anyone who had the pleasure of getting to know and work with her will remember her funny, sweet quirks that made her unique. If we were in the back area having a laugh she was quick to join in with grunts that sounded like a chuckle. However, if we were standing right in front of her and laughed at something funny she did she would give a hard look, vocalize and slap the ground letting you know she did not appreciate being the butt of a joke. Usually we would have to walk away laughing harder as to not offend her anymore. Good news is she was quick to forgive and be willing to groom your freckles mere moments later. How can you not fall in love with such a personality plus animal like that?

Photo Credit: Rebecca Zwicker
2 comments:
Thanks for sharing the memories about Clara. It is great that each animal has their own unique personality which makes visiting the zoo a different experience each time. Every time I go there is always something new to see in how the animals interact with each other and us.
To Clara's keepers:
I was so sorry to hear that one of your wonderful family had passed away. I know how much you all love and cherish each and every one of the animals in your care and I can only imagine how you must feel at such a loss. Clara was definitely a beautiful and wonderful primate and her absence at CMZ will be felt by all.
~ Jess
Post a Comment