Welcome to Cheyenne Mountain Zoo’s official blog! From amazing animal stories to a "behind the scenes" look at daily zoo life, this is the place to get to know
Cheyenne Mountain Zoo on a more personal level.
Check back often to get In Between the Spots!

December 28, 2009

Panama Travel Journal II - Day 5

Day 5, December 12, 2009

Today Roberto and I went to the infamous second stream. To be honest, I did not want to go, but Roberto wanted to see it during the day as he did not experience that on the last trip. As for me, I had bad memories and was not at all excited.

The trip started out good enough. Very good in fact. We found a species we had not seen on this trip or on the last. It was on the knoll between our home creek and the second. It is a small frog called Dendrobatidae minutus. About the size of your thumbnail, it has yellow at the crooks of each leg, and a beautiful blue patterned belly. Its like many birds I see, “brown.” But upon closer inspection it is full of color and wonderful. We found several. Edgardo will be happy. He wants some for El Valle. The stream however was a different story, or in fact, the same old story. We found two frogs and that was it. Those were found right at the top when we first dropped in. Even Roberto was visibly disgusted. He reverted to the same behavior Edgardo had exhibited last trip. Taking pictures and notes and light readings. I guess when scientists get befuddled they revert to what they know. Data.

The day was not a loss though. Jeff and I went out a little before dark and between 6:00-6:40 p.m. we caught about eight frogs. I also found a Limosus! That is only the third one on this trip and the first two Jeff found in amplexis. Jeff also found a Hemiphractus, the frog that looks just like a leaf and is a marsupial frog like the Gastrotheca. I first saw it at El Valle as well and instantly fell in love. It was a great find.

I went to bed early, at about 10:30 p.m. My plan was to get up and hunt early as nobody does. I hoped to catch some Limosus by going early. Time for Limosus is running out.

No comments: