Day 4, December 11, 2009
This morning started around 7:00 or 8:00 a.m. for most of the group. It was a slow morning after a long day. I brought pancake mix for the group with walnuts and Mountain House raspberry crumble sauce for syrup. By 9:30 – 10:00 a.m. we were all working. I was building shelves for the frogs. Della, Roberto and Edgardo were processing and treating frogs with an anti-fungicide called Itroconazole. Jeff and Adrian were lining coolers with cardboard for the ride home. We finished chores around 1:30 p.m. and headed out. Jeff went out first and me next. Jeff and I did manage to find a pair of Antelopus in amplexis. As Della said, that female could be the future of the species. All the females from the first collection trip died and one female is not a lot. Especially when there is only one in captivity in the world.
The afternoon ended with me alone at the edge of a water hole, waiting for a Strabomanis bufoniformis to stick its head back out of the water. I missed it. It would be the first of our trip, and would be a good find. On the way back to camp I found a Centrolene ilex and H. colymba. C. ilex are a wonderful green leaf sitting frog. They have crazy white eyes and have left an impression on me since I saw them at El Valle a year and a half ago. The eyes bulge out and have lines through the whites. Nice! H. colymba, of course, is a target species, so that was a good find.
The night ended after a search with Edgardo, Roberto, Adrian and I. As the night went on, Roberto and I split up and headed back at the waterfall, as Edgardo took Adrian to find the prized Gastrotheca. The last thing I said to him was “Find my bufoniformis” and he did, too! Along with a male Gastrotheca. I went to bed (aka my hammock) between 12:00 and 1:00 a.m. and Della, Roberto, Adrian and Edgardo were up talking and winding down the night.
December 27, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment