Welcome to Cheyenne Mountain Zoo’s official blog! From amazing animal stories to a "behind the scenes" look at daily zoo life, this is the place to get to know
Cheyenne Mountain Zoo on a more personal level.
Check back often to get In Between the Spots!

March 1, 2013

Meet Our Volunteers - Matthew and Malachi Curtis

Cheyenne Mountain Zoo would not be able to run efficiently without volunteers that support our efforts. We utilize their talents and dedication in almost every department and animal area in the Zoo. Over the next few months we will be introducing some of these passionate people and their stories to you.

Matthew (left) and Maliachi (right) Curtis
Matthew and Malachi Curtis have been volunteering at Cheyenne Mountain Zoo for two years. They have over 1,800 hours of service combined.  Within minutes of visiting with them it is apparent that, though soft spoken, they are extremely passionate about animals, volunteering and contributing their time.

“We’ve been volunteering for animal organizations for over 10 years,” Matthew said. “We started volunteering eight years ago in Charleston, South Carolina at a reptile rescue facility. Volunteering is a great learning experience, and it’s an important part of our lives.”


The brothers volunteer around the Zoo wherever they are needed. For events, they enjoy cheering on runners at Run to the Shrine, scooping ice cream at Teddy Bear Days and making vulture “vomit” (chocolate w/ nuts) at Vulture Awareness Day. Every Thursday and Friday morning, they work in the commissary sorting and weighing diets for our Zoo animals.

When asked what brought them to work in the commissary, Matthew spoke first. “I am legally blind,” Matthew said. “This gets me out of the house. Working in the commissary is quiet, peaceful and it’s a place I can focus on what I need to do without making mistakes. I can’t drive so Malachi has to drive me…”

Maliachi quickly chimes in, “I like to volunteer, too! I don’t just drive him.”

 “We love the Zoo,” Matthew said. “The staff is knowledgeable, friendly and professional. They take the time to work with you, and appreciate that we are here.”

Staff feels the same about them. “Matthew and Maliachi are fantastic guys,” Jamie Breitian, Commissary Manager said. “Honestly, I feel blessed to know them on a personal level. The Zoo is so fortunate to have them. They set the bar high for all other volunteers. They are the best.” 

No comments: