Welcome to Cheyenne Mountain Zoo’s official blog! From amazing animal stories to a "behind the scenes" look at daily zoo life, this is the place to get to know
Cheyenne Mountain Zoo on a more personal level.
Check back often to get In Between the Spots!

March 28, 2012

Something’s Cookin’ at Cheyenne Mountain Zoo


Perhaps you didn’t know an independent company, System Services Association (SSA), is behind all of Cheyenne Mountain Zoo’s on-site food venues, catering services, and gift shops. We are pleased to introduce Nathan Dirnberger as Cheyenne Mountain Zoo’s new Executive Chef. He will manage all aspects of Grizzly Grill, Safari Café, as well as a Taste of the Wild catering, the zoo’s on-site event catering company.

Prior to joining the Cheyenne Mountain Zoo team, Chef Nathan was the Executive Chef at Nosh, an eclectic downtown restaurant. His passion for cooking began when he was just 13-years-old working as an associate at a gourmet food store. Chef Nathan is a Colorado native and has resided in Colorado Springs for the past 20 years. In his free time, he enjoys anything outdoors-camping, hiking, mountain biking, and he loves playing basketball.

We recently asked Chef Nathan a few questions to help you get to know him a little better.

CMZoo – Okay, What is your favorite zoo animal?
Chef Nathan – My favorite animal is a giraffe.

CMZoo - What is your favorite exhibit at Cheyenne Mountain Zoo?
Chef Nathan – Seeing all of the blueprints, I think Encounter Africa will be my new favorite exhibit. Plus, I’m a big fan of the rhinoceros and elephants that will be in this new exhibit.

CMZoo - What are you looking forward to most in your new position?
Chef Nathan – I’m looking forward to representing Cheyenne Mountain Zoo in the community and at upcoming cooking competitions. I’m also really excited about being a part of a great team and continuing a lot of very innovative projects started before my hire. For instance, I can’t wait to expand our current rooftop garden, which can be seen from the Mountaineer Sky Ride.

CMZoo – What new dishes do you plan to add to the menu?
Chef Nathan –I’m excited to introduce an authentic cuisine into each month’s menu. This month, on Saturdays and Sundays, we will be highlighting Mexican recipes. Next month Asian dishes will be on the menu.

CMZoo - What is your favorite food?
Chef Nathan – I don’t have one favorite - I love ALL food!

CMZoo - What is your favorite dessert?
Chef Nathan – I love anything with fruit.

Chef Nathan invites you to stop by the Grizzly Grill or Safari Café and say “hi” the next time you are exploring Cheyenne Mountain Zoo.   

No comments: