Welcome to Cheyenne Mountain Zoo’s official blog! From amazing animal stories to a "behind the scenes" look at daily zoo life, this is the place to get to know
Cheyenne Mountain Zoo on a more personal level.
Check back often to get In Between the Spots!

July 12, 2010

Africa Expedition: Trip Overview and Day 1

Our own, Nicole Mantz, Education Curator for the Cheyenne Mountain Zoo, has ventured to Africa on an expedition regarding human/wildlife conflict and coexistence. We just heard from her and wanted to get the update out to you.

Nicole writes:

Jambo! Got into Nairobi yesterday afternoon but wasn't able access internet until this morning. We will be heading Tsavo as soon as we are done with our updates here. I hope to send pictures soon!

Trip Overview:
This Earth Expeditions trip through Project Dragonfly and the Wild Research Consortium* is about humans and wildlife coexisting together. Throughout the course we use the inquiry process to look at different issues associated with humans and wildlife in the African landscape. Since the class revolves around inquiry, I'd like to ask you to do some inquiry along with me...

Look at your surroundings each day, pick something to focus on and spend sometime asking questions about it. When you find a question that really intrigues you, then I challenge you to dig deeper, look for the answer, ask your family, friends, etc. to join you in your quest. I think you'll find that as you take a few moments to dig deeper, and learn more, the world around you start to feel more alive, more illuminated. Using simple inquiry and observation can make an ordinary situation incredibly interesting, and as a result, I hope you feel more connected with the world around. - Join me in my journey as I connect with the people and wildlife of Africa through the inquiry process.

*As part of Wild Research, 15 zoos and aquariums throughout the country make up the Wild Research Consortium. Consortium members attend leadership workshops each year at conservation sites in Africa, Asia, and the Americas.


July 1, Day 1 - A long way for a kiss!

Today we had some time before we met up with the rest of our classmates, so a couple new friends from Ohio and I did some exploration. We really wanted to check out the Sheldrick Elephant Orphanage and the Giraffe sanctuary. So we hired a guide to take us around these areas of Nairobi. The Elephant sanctuary was first and they had 6 elephant calves ranging in age from 5 months to 2 years.



They were red with dirt and really knew they were the center of attention. So many people crowded around them for the opportunity to get up close and personal. As I observed the people in that moment, it made me think about how much people love connecting with wildlife. I know this is something that we already know, but being in another country, and seeing many people from other countries as well, waiting with great anticipation for their moment to connect with the little guys, reminded me that this connection we crave, truly is universal... it doesn't matter what language you speak.

When we reached the Giraffe Sanctuary, where Giraffe Manor is located, I was again amazed at the people that were crowding around, feeding the giraffe. It made me start wondering, of the people here, for how many is this their first time to feed giraffe?

As I observed, in an effort to answer my question... many were frightened and nervous as they approached "Daisy" the giraffe for the first time. Some spoke English and I was able to ask them if this was their first experience, and for most, it was. As they started connecting with Daisy, they started getting more confident and bolder with their feeding strategies. Eventually you saw them starting to put the pellet in their mouth and Daisy would take it from them, in a sloppy, wet, french kiss. :-)


One of my classmates, Katie, gets a smooch from Daisy the giraffe at the Giraffe Sanctuary.

I just giggle at their expressions and thought about how fortunate we are at Cheyenne Mountain Zoo, to be able to provide this opportunity for our guests. The joy that surrounded Daisy is something we see often at the Zoo, and for those who have a chance to have their first encounter with a giraffe right in their home town, or after a little traveling, I'm sure you feel fortunate too... Africa is a long way to come for your first kiss (giraffe kiss that is)!


Giraffe photo from Cheyenne Mountain Zoo.

Tonight we meet up with our class and head off to Amboseli! Can't wait for the adventure!

No comments: