I continue my way up the path – wait – what is that? I can see it up ahead…hold on…let me take a couple more steps to be sure…
Wow – A MOOSE about 50 feet ahead in the trees! He’s moving his antlers against the tree. He doesn’t see me but I’m sure he is very aware of his surroundings. It seems he is enjoying the opportunity for play that nature has provided him.

What is that pounding I hear behind me? I’m not at home, there is no solicitor knocking at my door, interrupting my morning. I take my eyes off the moose for only a second to search the scene. I discover a woodpecker giving his best to the Aspen tree in front of me. He seems to mock me, trying to give my location away to the moose. I’ll stand still and silent. Am I discovered? A touch of fear enters my body. The moose decides to tolerate me for now and continues to amuse himself with the tree.
I’ve been watching for several minutes when I hear a “screeching” somewhere off in the distance. I can’t put my finger on it but I know I’ve heard this sound before. It sounds like majesty.
There it is! A bald eagle upon the hill! I took me awhile to spot it – ironically it would take only seconds for this fierce hunter to find me. My senses are in overload at this point – a surreal feeling.
A new emotion enters now, but my senses tell me it’s ok. I feel peace and look around to try to understand the source – every vision creates my serenity, and it’s calming.
I’m not deep in the mountains…
I’m at work, at the Cheyenne Mountain Zoo and I invite you to experience Rocky Mountain Wild, where you too can get closer.
-By Jamie Breitigan, Commissary Manager - Cheyenne Mountain Zoo
No comments:
Post a Comment