What is e-waste?
“Electronic waste" may be defined as discarded computers, electronic office equipment, entertainment device electronics, mobile phones, television sets and refrigerators.
Trashy E-Waste Facts
The nation now dumps between 300 million and 400 million electronic items per year, and less than 20% of that e-waste is recycled.
Only 15% of the population recycles their computers, which means the other 85% end up in landfills.
E-waste is the largest source of lead in solid waste.
E‐waste is still the fastest growing municipal waste stream in the
Green Solutions = Zoo Funds
Being part of the solution and helping the zoo is as easy as 1, 2, 3.
- This Saturday, January 14, from 10:00am to 2:00pm the 2nd annual E-Waste Recycling event will be taking place in the main parking lot at the zoo. Bring your computers, audio/video equipment, small appliances, batteries, ink cartridges and cell phones to recycle. For each pound of e-waste collected the zoo will earn a percentage of the fees charged on monitors, TVs and hard drive destruction. During the event the zoo will also be collecting monetary donations as well.
- The zoo collects and recycles cell phones, batteries and ink cartridges every day of the year. Place your recyclable items in the bins at the zoo admission booths between 9:00am and 4:00pm daily. The collected items are shipped to companies that recycle them, and in turn contribute funds to our animal conservation programs.
* If we recycled just a million cell phones, it would reduce greenhouse gas emissions equal to taking 1,368 cars off the road for a year.
- Headed to the junk yard with an old vehicle? Donate it to the zoo! We accept vehicle donations through vehiclesforcharity.org. The proceeds from the salvage sales are contributed directly to the zoo.
Sources – Wikipedia.org & dosomething.org